If you’re a fan of the California punk rock scene, you certainly know Pennywise, and if you know Pennywise you’re likely familiar with their on again off again front man Jim Lindberg. We thought it would be fun to compile some random factoids about Mr. Lindberg to test just how much you know about the punk rock icon.
Test your knowledge below.
1. Prior to joining Pennywise, Jim worked at a little mini-mart called the Altadena dairy when he was 15, where the manager occasionally left him in charge. The mini-mart was located across from a church where Black Flag would practice.
2. Jim is a big surfer and sits on the board of directors for the Surfrider Foundation, a non-profit environmental organization that works to protect and preserve the world’s oceans, waves, and beaches.
3. He and his Pennywise bandmate Byron McMackin are two of the founding partners of Hollywood hotspot “Las Palmas”.
4. Jim provided backing vocals on “Marked” from Bad Religion’s 1994 album “Stranger Than Fiction” and two of The Offspring’s albums “Americana” and “Splinter”.
5. Jim has 3 daughters and in 2008 he wrote a book titled “Punk Rock Dad: No Rules, Just Real Life” about the the challenges of balancing fatherhood and a punk rock lifestyle.
6. He was a student at UCLA and graduated there in 1989 with a degree in English.
7. Jim founded the Video on Demand action sports and music network Havoc TV.
8. Jim briefly left Pennywise back in the early 90’s because of how violent the audience had become at their shows.
9. The Beach Boys are the first band Jim really obsessed over and he credits their melodic sensibilities as a key influence for a lot of the southern California melodic hardcore scene.
10. He has participated in various charity causes, donating portions of Pennywise proceeds to benefit organizations like the UCLA Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Center.
Add Pennywise to My Radar