A WORD FROM OUR HEAD HONCHO
I just listened to a band called The Sheds cover “Mind Of My Own” by Strung Out. That original is one of my absolute favorite punk songs ever and I’ve never heard it covered before so it was kinda cool. Doesn’t hold a candle to the original but it was a fun listen nonetheless. The song was recorded for the soundtrack to the upcoming Fat Wreck documentary which I’m still pumped up for. Fun fact: The filmmakers interviewed yours truly for the film at last year’s Punk Rock Bowling festival and I make a few asinine comments about who knows what while wearing some stupid looking sunglasses. I’m sorta hoping it doesn’t make it into the actual movie. In other news I’mlistening to a band called GutterLife right now because a story was just submitted about them. It’s pretty good!
THIS WEEK’S TOP STORIES
Here’s what you missed, what you ignored and what you’re sick of reading about.
1. Jay Stone wrote a really great article on the Boston punk scene and you little fuckers couldn’t help but start a giant war in the comments. Put the internet down, guys.
2. I don’t know what the Chill on the Hill Festival is, but The Offspring and Rise Against are booked to headline it this year.
3. Here’s a rad tribute to Nirvana called In Utero. Bonus points to Whirr for covering “Pennyroyal Tea.”
4. I hope Canada and the Northeastern United States are prepared for the whirlwind of punk rock that Mischief Brew and Subhumans will be bringing this summer.
5. NOFX will play Punk In Drublic in its entirety at this year’s Groezrock Festival.
6. Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day hopped onstage for The Replacements’ set at Coachella. I don’t even want to think about him yelling the words to “Unsatisfied.”
7. Check out Jello Biafra’s vinyl collection!
8. Here’s a sweet video of The Menzinger’s playing “I Don’t Want To Be An Asshole Anymore” at their record release show in Philly. I would have punched my dog in the face to go to that.
9. Speaking of The Menzingers, they put out the best music video in punk rock history.
10. The Gaslight Anthem covered Tom Waits’ “Anywhere I Lay My Head.”
DYING SCENE EXCLUSIVE STREAMS
Southern California punk act Moonraker will be releasing their new EP “String Theory” on April 29th but you don’t have to wait until then to hear it!
“A half-hour wave of sound, without much diversity, Somos has released a likable first major effort. If we make it to the end of the year without this band blowing up, I’ll be completely shocked. ”