Rolling Stone readers select the Ten Best Punk Rock Bands of All Time

The folks over at Rolling Stone magazine recently asked readers to vote on the Best Punk Rock Bands of All Time. The results are in, and they are quite interesting.

As you might expect given that it was Rolling Stone running the poll, the final list is weighted very heavily toward the late 1970s and early 1980s. Also, number one was a bit of a surprise. Click here to view the list, and click through here to read the article in its entirety.

How do you think RS readers did? We think they may have left a few off. Click here to take our poll of “biggest snubs” of the Rolling Stone list, and leave your comments below.

10. Bad Brains

9. Social Distortion

8. The Misfits

7. Black Flag

6. Iggy & The Stooges

5. The Dead Kennedys

4. The Sex Pistols

3. Ramones

2. The Clash

1. Green Day

[poll id=”36″]

Add Green Day to My Radar   Add to My Radar

1. jaystone
    jaystone8/6/2011 5:31 PM | Permalink

Green Day at number one is bizarre. No Bad Religion is just wrong. But numbers two through nine are at least respectable (albeit out of order).

Surprised they didn’t include Blink.

2. crmulhern
    The Fenian8/6/2011 6:56 PM | Permalink

Green Day’s career has warranted them a place on the list, sure, but I really don’t think it’s the number one place. And where are NOFX? Bad Religion? I can understand overlooking Op Ivy and even Rancid, but the other two should be on there.

Of course, this gets into each reader’s personal definition of punk and punk music. Given the fact that the Rolling Stone-reading crowd isn’t exactly the mohawk-toting moshing punk group, this isn’t all that surprising, I guess.

Still, a disappointment.

3. sumbum
    Sumbum8/6/2011 7:17 PM | Permalink

This bothers me. Green Day isn’t bad, but that fact that they are in front of Misfits, Black Flag, and The Ramones?! Those bands made punk what it is today! This is blasphemy to me, especially that Operation Ivy wasn’t on this list. I think Green Day is too young (still even though they’ve been around since the early 90’s) to be the “Greatest Punk Band.” All the bands on this list has seniority over them, Green Day, in my opinion, seriously sold themselves out with time.

4. Stand8/7/2011 9:25 AM | Permalink

If Bad Religion, Rancid and Op Ivy r not on the list its flawed. They should take off Green Day, Bad Brains and Social D. I know im going to get hate for saying Social D but if its about Punk MUSIC style than def there out but if its about message i would say prob yes they should be up there.

5. Stand8/7/2011 9:26 AM | Permalink

I take back what i said. The only band that should be off this list is Green Day.

6. jaystone
    jaystone8/7/2011 10:20 AM | Permalink

See, I can understand having Green Day on the list. Their first decade worth of albums still hold up well, and they are on the short list of bands that introduced a great many of us born in the late 70s-early 80s to what punk music is.

But they sure aren’t number one….

7. Sérgio Soares8/7/2011 2:53 PM | Permalink

#1 Green Day? WTF???????????????????????????? Are you all mad?????

8. punkbomb8/7/2011 5:13 PM | Permalink

why is nofx not there they where like the led zeppelin of punk music!

also bad religion must be there….tho I like nofx more its just retarded to know bad religion is not there :/

9. Niko10/23/2011 12:20 PM | Permalink

Bad Religion should be on the list(AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED THEY ARE NUMBER ONE), also if theyr putting green day on the list might as well put The Living End(i swear green day steal from them).

10. chrisdude89
    ChrisDude10/23/2011 3:50 PM | Permalink

Obviously Bad Religion. But I voted for other for The Offspring, Lagwagon, No Use for a Name, Pennywise and/or Jughead’s Revenge.

11. Eric12/5/2011 10:16 AM | Permalink

Green Day? Really? My brain is hanging upside down.