Favorite Books

Home Forums General Discussion Favorite Books

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Drea

Reading books? I know, so un-punk rock. Go ahead and revoke my punk card, but I always carry a book around with me. My question for you is do you have any favorite books, series, or authors?

Some of my favorites are:
    It’s Kind Of A Funny Story
    I Slept With Joey Ramone
    Ballads Of Suburbia
    I also love anything by Stephen King, Poe, and pretty much any compilation of poetry.

Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card.

It’s kind of ironic that the series went on to be about Ender speaking out against Xenophobia and hating other living creatures just for being different when Mr. Card himself is a devout Mormon and strictly adheres to a majority of the stances the Christian right aligns themselves with. But I still really like the book. The rest of the Ender books not so much. I like Card’s Shadow series more.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and The Princess Bride are both hilarious. And I’m a big fan of most Neil Gaiman novels (American Gods is generally considered his best work from what I know, but I really liked Anansi Boys and Neverwhere).

I guess you could say I’m a fan of sci fi and fantasy.

World War Z is also a great one. I don’t care a whole lot for zombies to tell the truth, but an an Anthropologist I found the style and tone that Max Brooks used to be fantastic.

Drea

I think I will check out World War Z. I read a lot of horror, fiction, and biographies, but that sounds interesting.

I really love John Dies at the End and This Book Is Full of Spiders by David Wong, also love 1984 by George Orwell, as cliche as it is for a punk. House of Leaves is also one of my favorites.

Johnny X

What a great thread! Is reading unpunk? Cuz I’m a huge book nerd.

Dustin, that’s interesting about Card. I liked the first 2 books in the Enders series. I don’t understand why people think American Gods is so good.

Drea and Dustin, if you guys like fantasy do yourselves a favor and start reading the Game of Thrones series. I dare say they are the most enjoyable/engrossing books I’ve ever read and I read a LOT. I can’t emphasize enough how good they are.

Other favorites:
    “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” (or most anything by Kundera) – for introspection, and anybody who has pondered the meaning of life and love.
    “The Beach” by Alex Garland – The best escape novel you will ever read but only if you’ve never seen the movie, though the movie deviates largely from the book.
    “Pillars Of The Earth” by Ken Follet, “Shogun” by James Clavel (sp?) and “Aztec” by Gary Jennings are must reads for any fan of adventure and historical fiction.
    “Vernon God Little” is the funniest book I’ve ever read but its a dark, serious sorta funny. It helps if you know its satire going in.
    “Life of Pi” if fantastic if you don’t see the movie.
    “City of Thieves” – There is not a person on the planet that will not love that book after having read it.

I can ramble on about books for days…

jaystone

I’m currently rereading Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” for the first time in ages because a friend of a friend is writing a Frankenstein-based comic book (it’s called “Frankenstein Alive Alive” and the artwork is absolutely amazing). I’m also just about finished with the first volume of Alexandr Solzhenitsyn’s “The Gulag Archipelago.” I sorta have a thing for revolutionary literature, particularly of the Russian variety.

pfilc

In addition to fantasy series, I’m a big fan of post-apocalyptic books:
    Alas Babylon
    Earth Abides
    I am Legend (very different from movie)
    A Canticle for Liebowitz

I’m always looking for more if anyone has recommendations.

Drea

I enjoyed Frankenstein. If you ever want to read an interesting short play I would suggest “No Exit”, it explores the concept of hell and is quite good.

Right now I am starting R.L Stine’s “Red Rain”. He was my favorite author during elementary school, and I’m curious to see how his writing translates into novels for adults.

Johnny X

@pfilc
    The Road was a great book.

I’ve actually read the first four in the Song of Ice and Fire series… I liked Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, and Storm of Swords, but Feast for Crows kind of bored me. The pacing was too slow and I felt like there was far too much emphasis on Cersei.

I’ve got a Dance with Dragons waiting to be read next once I’ve finished my current book. (Nick Hornby’s “Juliet, Naked”, for the curious)

Johnny X

It’s been so long since I read them its hard to remember what happened in each book but I tend to look at the whole Song of Ice and Fire series as one book. Sort of hard to evaluate them on an individual basis as its all one continuous story. Sure, some parts will be slower than others as in any story but overall the experience is epic. I do think the most recent book picks up in pace though.

jaystone

How are you guys not Rush fans?

I just read “On The Road” by Jack Kerouac and now I’m hooked. Definitely one of my favorites. His other books are great as well. Also “1984” by George Orwell and every book by Sinclair Lewis. He’s the person who came up with the term “When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross.” I love that.

Drea

Everyone seems to love “1984”, I couldn’t get into it that much. I preferred “Brave New World” by Huxley.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Web Design - WordPress Development - WooCommerce Websites