Favorite punk albums of all-time

Home Forums Albums Favorite punk albums of all-time

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Mills

List them. You can give an explanation as well.

This is a hard one.

No particular order:

Against Me!- Searching For A Former Clarity
    Dag Nasty- Can I Say?
    Bomb the Music Industry!- Vacation
    Andrew Jackson Jihad- Knife Man
    Fugazi- Repeater
    None More Black- This is Satire
    Fake Problems- It’s Great to Be Alive
    Hot Water Music- Fuel For the Hate Game
    Bad Religion- Empire Strikes First
    Fucked Up- David Comes to Life

jaystone

Also no particular order. And I should clarify, that I don’t necessarily think that any/all of these albums are the best by a particular band, but they happen to be my favorite due to the impact they had at the time they were released.

Bad Religion – The Grey Race
    Face To Face – Ignorance Is Bliss
    Face To Face – How To Ruin Everything
    Hot Water Music – Exister
    Less Than Jake – Losing Streak
    Rancid – And Out Come The Wolves
    Green Day – Dookie
    The Reveling – Tributaries
    Gaslight Anthem – The ’59 Sound
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones – Question The Answers
    Flogging Molly – Float
    Screw 32 – Under The Influence Of Bad People
    Spring Heeled Jack – Static World View
    Fugazi – Repeater
    Minor Threat – Minor Threat
    Pennywise – Pennywise

Here are some of my all-time favorite punk/ska albums (some of which you hear me talk about on facebook all the time XD):

Green Day (well, there are 4 from these guys) – Insomniac, Dookie, Kerplunk & 39 Smooth
    Bad Religion – No Control & Suffer
    NOFX – Punk In Drublic
    Less Than Jake (Another one with a bunch) – Losing Streak, Hello Rockview, Borders & Boundaries, Anthem, Pezcore
    MxPx – Life In General, Slowly Going The Way of The Buffalo
    Buck-O-Nine – 28 Teeth
    Pennywise – About Time
    Blink 182 – Dude Ranch, Cheshire Cat
    Screeching Weasel (Multiples, once again) – My Brain Hurts, BoogadaBoogadaBoogada, Anthem For A New Tomorrow, Television City Dream
    The Queers – Don’t Back Down, Love Songs For The Retarded, Beat Off
    Bouncing Souls – How I Spent My Summer Vacation, Maniacle Laughter, Comet
    Lagwagon – Hoss, Trashed, Let’s Talk About Feelings
    Victims of Circumstance – Roll The Dice, Acupunkture, Do It Yourself
    Face To Face – Don’t Turn Away, Self-Titled, Reactionary
    Mustard Plug – Evildoers Beware
    Goldfinger – Self-Titled
    Suicide Machines – Destruction By Definition
    Banner Pilot – Heart Beats Pacific
    Pour Habit – Suiticide, Got Your Back
    Strung Out – Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues, Twisted By Design, Agents of The Underground

Yeah, uhhh, that’s all that comes to mind right now!

I’m going to second both Green Day’s Insomniac and Screeching Weasel’s My Brain Hurts. I’m also going to throw in the first Ramones LP, Minor Threat’s Complete Discography,

I feel like Insomniac encapsulates what “mainstream punk” should be like, if it’s going to exist at all.

My Brain Hurts should be the blueprint for pop punk to this day (although they can leave Ben’s attitude at the door).

I feel like it should be obvious why I included Ramones. Unlike the Clash, who were incredibly ambitious with their music, or the Sex Pistols, who were mostly conceived as a way to cash-in on the punk trend (I still like the Pistols, but I don’t pretend that they were anything else), the Ramones just played music to recapture that essence of simple rock and roll.

And Minor Threat because not only did the band play hardcore at its purest, but it wasn’t just some crummy lo-fi record- the recording quality still holds up to this very day without having to be re-released as some “digitally remastered special edition”.

I kind of shifted the topic a little in the direction of “Important punk albums”. Sorry.

bob9746

Bad Religion No Control, Suffer, Against the grain
    NOFX White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean
    Strung Out – Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues and Twisted By Design
    Lagwagon Trashed
    Face To Face Self-Titled
    Buck-O-Nine – 28 Teeth
    AWS Carer Suicide
    Unwritten Law (black one)
    Screeching Weasel BoogadaBoogadaBoogada
    Bad Brains Rock for light
    Vodoo Glow Skulls Firme
    Goldfinger – Self-Titled
    Rancid Let’s go and Life won’t wait
    Suicide Machines – Destruction By Definition

disruptor

I’m partial (but not exclusive) to First gen NY to London stuff.

Ramones first album or Mania! For fusing pop and discontent in such a way as to spawn a sound out of a movement.
    The Clash, London Calling is a great record that showed how punk could evolve without losing it’s swagger or values.
    Rancid’s Out Come The Wolves was great for reigniting a sense of profile coming from the underground. Something for different scenes to unite around.
    American Idiot was great in that it has a ton of great sound and complex ideas in it, ideas that were gobbled up by a generation of youngn’s by virtue of it’s

Richard Hell and the Voidoids had it’s own thing going really early. I wish they had released more records…

Johnny X

AFI – “Sing The Sorrow”
    NOFX – “Punk In Drublic”
    Strung Out – “Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues”
    Rancid – “And Out Come The Wolves”

bob9746

oh i forgot the now defunct RKL riches to rags and earlier AFI Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes … i used to listen a lot this albums

pfilc

Seems completely improbable, but I can actually list a single album that is my all-time favorite:

Bigwig – Reclamation.
    It came out on my birthday almost 7 years ago and I instantly loved it. The infusion of metal elements seemed so revolutionary…they were a punk band incorporating some metal rather than a metal/thrash band playing some punk. It goes strong from start to finish, not a single weak song. All are memorable on their own, but together make a completely badass album. There have been times over the years that it hasn’t left my pickup’s cd player for weeks at a time (granted I do have a short drive between home and work).

Drea

Green Day- 1039 Smooth, Kerplunk, American Idiot, and Dookie. Green Day was the first band I seriously got into that was not introduced to me by my parents. They were also my first exposure to punk.

Ramones- Rocket To Russia. My first real punk record. And it’s the Ramones, ’nuff said.

The Flatliners- Cavalcade

England Keep My Bones- Frank Turner

NOFX- Punk In Drublic

Strung Out: Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues
    Operation Ivy: Energy
    Rancid: Life Won’t Wait, …And Out Come The Wolves, Let’s Go, Self Titled (first one)
    The Suicide Machines: Battle Hymns and Destruction By Definition
    Minor Threat: Complete Discography
    Gaslight Anthem: everything

w.g.hanna

Dead Kennedys – Plastic Surgery Disasters

The first album had the hits. This one has the band at their most musically expressive and Jello at his prime. Par for the course with a DK album, the funny songs are serious, the serious songs tell jokes. Jello sings about big picture stuff on tracks like Government Flu and Bleed. But the lyrics are at their best when they’re about regular life – Terminal Preppy is a critique of the brain dead frat boy lifestyle, Well Paid Scientist is a critique of the brain dead corporate drone. That song has the best lyric – describing an over worked dad coming home, chewing out his kids, and lamenting that they taste like himself. The best overall song is Riot! – the narative from start to finish is all too true, the bass and guitar capture the intensity and manipulate the listeners emotions to give vivid color to the lyrical content.

And I think that Halloween may be the best punk challenge ever issued to the stifled adult. Plastic Surgery Disasters = best punk album ever recorded.

So many to choose from, of the top of my head I’ll say…
    Operation Ivy
    The Misfit: Walk among Us
    The Clash: London Calling
    Dropkick Murphy’s: Sing Loud Sing Proud
    The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Devil’s Night Out
    Rancid: Out Come The Wolves and Life Won’t Wait
    Social Distortion: White Light, White Heat, White Trash
    Street Dogs: State of Grace
    Tiger Army: Music from Regions Beyond

pingry507

the record to change my life
    1 Bad Religion against the grain/suffer/no control for the love of God if there was a god just change my life
    2 offspring americana ( I know I know gonna give a crap putting this on my list
    3the unseen the state of discontent(my favorite unseen record)
    4 Golden Age carrying the torch (inspiring hardcore)
    5 Belvedere fast forward eats the tape (my favorite sk8 punk )
    6 Hot Water Music- Fuel For the Hate Game
    7 Dead Kennedys Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables(my dad had it on viny
    l played it over and over )
    8 Choking Victim no gods no masters (my favorite skacore)
    9 intro5pect realpolitik (mind blowing )
    10 no trigger Extinction in Stereo ( favorite Melodic hardcore)
    1 Operation Ivy energy
    12 subhuman The Day the Country Died ( neither 1 of my dad’s band the song You change mylife
    that’s my list the only 1 in order is bad religion because because their music change my life thank you for your time support your local punk scene

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Web Design - WordPress Development - WooCommerce Websites