What's the most over rated punk bands?

Home Forums Bands What's the most over rated punk bands?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Mills

What are some of the most over rated punk bands?

Pennywise. But depending on who you talk to, they could be underrated. I think they’re a pretty dull band, personally, but for some they practically define what punk should be.

jaystone

I feel like the most common answer is going to be “The Gaslight Anthem.”

But I disagree.

If the border we’re drawing around the punk community encompasses all of the bands we cover here on DS, than I’d have to say any of the screamo bands that have a quarter-million facebook “likes” would have to top the list.

If we’re keeping it to stereotypically punk bands, then NOFX.

Chris Ramone

There are too many. I wanted to say either The Ramones, Black Flag or Bad Religion, depending on what I’m listening to.

Drea

If you take the context into the pop punk territory, I would definitely say Blink 182.

I think I’m going to go with NOFX as well. I won’t deny that they’ve written some great songs (that rightfully deserve recognition), but that doesn’t negate the fact that they have also written some terrible, terrible songs. I don’t really get how they’ve reached their legendary status when you have to skip around on their albums so much to get to the good stuff.

I’m also not sure if I comprehend why they can get away with sex and vagina jokes, but punks shit all over blink-182 for sex and dick jokes. Not that I’m defending blink-182 for it, because it is stupid, but does anyone know why NOFX’s antics are generally more accepted?

bob9746

For sure Dustin but NOFX = Fat Mike and ……friends that become good musicians over those 30 years of playing but such as Mike said in old interview NOFX didn’t make money the 10 first years of the band but Mike know the scene and he’s smart he done really good stuff with his label (Rat music for rat people becomes Fat Music for Fat people, ….the ep’s series of the band for collector addicts…and many other stuff reached their legendary Mike is a golf player, he’s with Dominatrix, NOFX got a mexican is their band, a gay flag on scene….) that also help to promote his band…ONE other fact is in the 90’s GERMANY and german fans helps a lot in all Europe the band to be more known NOFX is one of those. (such as such Sick of it All are bigger in Europe than in USA)…

Bad Religion. I think they were incredible up to/including Stranger Than Fiction. After that everything seems repetitive and unnecessary to me. I agree with Pennywise as well.

chilli311

I know it’s shameful, but I have never been able to get into the Ramones. For punk that’s that old school, give me the Dead Boys or the Dictators over the Ramones any day.

bob9746

It’s weird but sometimes you really want to see lengen dary punkrock bands and sometimes you’re really disappointed …either sometimes newest band blowed you away That’s life

tdulawan

chilli311 speaks truth! The Ramones get way too much credit

Johnny X

Yeah, I hate to admit it but I don’t fully appreciate the Ramones either. Or the Sex Pistols for that matter. And as long as I’m at it, I gotta say, I love Against Me from Eternal Cowboy through New Wave but I just can’t figure out what is so great about Reinventing Axl Rose. Seriously, what song should I being listening to on that album to change my mind?

Dude, I don’t know you can’t love Reinventing Axl Rose. It’s just so beautifully raw, passionate. I see it as Against Me!’s sound at it’s highest concentrated purity, before they bred out a lot of the anarcho, crust, and hardcore influences (even though they were pretty subtle on this album as well). “Walking Is Still Honest” might honestly be my favorite song. But honestly, the entire album is top tier punk rock. Check out the aforementioned, along with “Reinventing Axl Rose.”

“We Laugh at Danger (And Break All the Rules)” is the essential track off of Reinventing Axl Rose, and really the only one that matters. All the other best songs on the album (“Pints of Guinness”, “Walking Is Still Honest”, “Those Anarcho Punks…”, “Reinventing Axl Rose”) are just re-recorded versions of songs that originally appeared on either the Crime EP or The Acoustic EP and (time for my hipster moment) in my opinion are inferior to the original recordings.

Maybe I’m just biased though.

I’m not bothered by the fact that a lot of the songs appeared elsewhere first, because I’ve always thought of Against Me!’s folk beginnings as more necessity than an artistic choice. For me at least, Reinventing Axl Rose is the first time the band fully realized the potential in their songwriting and put it together as a cohesive whole. That said, “We Laugh at Danger (And Break All the Rules” is an awesome song, without a doubt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Web Design - WordPress Development - WooCommerce Websites