Punk Rock Trivia: Heavy Petting Zoo vs. Eating Lamb

Every once in a while the punk rock geniuses here at Dying Scene unleash a tasty little nugget of punk rock trivia in an effort to blow our readers’ minds. Also, we like to make ourselves feel smart.  Today’s fun factoid is about the controversial cover art of NOFX‘s album “Heavy Petting Zoo” and it’s slightly lesser known vinyl counterpart.

You’ve all seen the disturbing/hilarious cover of NOFX’s 1996 album “Heavy Petting Zoo,” which depicts a dude finger banging a sheep in front of a barn (I suddenly feel the need to shower after typing that).  The artwork was used for the CD and cassette formats of the release, but the vinyl release of the same album was actually titled “Eating Lamb” and used a different version of cover art.  This one depicted the same dude, and presumably the same sheep, 69ing each other (now I definitely have to take a shower).

Check out both versions and vote for which one you find the most funny/offensive right here.

[poll id=”41″]

———————————————-“Heavy Petting Zoo”

———————————————-“Eating Lamb”

Add NOFX to My Radar   Add to My Radar

1. Anthony McMammoth8/28/2011 2:25 PM | Permalink

well… “eating lamb” is grosser. but “heavy petting zoo” is way more clever, and the fact that there are kids in the background makes it arguably more offensive.

2. Patrick de Lange8/28/2011 3:50 PM | Permalink

The real trivia about these albums should be that the song “Murder the Government” is different on all three formats.

3. dying
    Johnny X8/28/2011 4:19 PM | Permalink

Interesting. I didn’t know that. Don’t suppose you have all 3 versions that you can send us, do you? I’m too lazy to track them down myself.

4. Patrick de Lange8/29/2011 1:54 AM | Permalink

I’ll have a look, I’m not sure. (I’m a vinyl nerd so I don’t play many mp3’s)

By the way, the same is true, but lyricwise, for “And now for something completely similair” for “Pump Up The Valuum.”

Funny shit.

5. Patrick de Lange8/29/2011 8:16 AM | Permalink

I don’t have them on mp3, but I found them on youtube for you. Also turns out I was a bit mistaken, because the version on the LP and cassette are the same, both having a ska-style intro.

#1 = CD version: http://tinyurl.com/4xo5gzx
    #2 = LP + cassette: http://tinyurl.com/3bwybmj

I also found one video which has all 3 (at least there I was correct) versions of “And Now For Something Completely Similair”

6. dying
    Johnny X8/29/2011 1:04 PM | Permalink

Awesome! Thanks, Patrick. Gonna save this for a Punk Rock Trivia post sometime in the next few weeks.

7. gorillakong3
    GorillaKong39/12/2016 4:51 PM | Permalink

Murder The Government is not on Heavy Petting Zoo.