General News

Fat Mike is beyond f*cked up (this story is disturbing)

Posted by Johnny X on Thursday, March 25, 2010 at 9:44 AM (PST)

For years now I’ve been wondering how much of NOFX front-man Fat Mike’s overindulgent, party guy attitude was an act act to maintain his punk rock credibility.  How true could his lyrics and stories about sex, alcohol and drug abuse really be?  I mean, the guy is married and has a daughter.  He runs a successful record label and has managed to keep his band relevant for almost 3 decades.  At worst, I figured the dude was a semi-alcoholic, but one who had his shit together, and behind the scenes was maybe even a decent father and husband.

If you’ve been a fan of NOFX for a while you’ve probably noticed that Fat Mike doesn’t sing about anything personal to him (something I always felt held the band back from progressing to a new level of greatness).  He broke the cycle with the recent release of Cokie The Clown where Mike sings a touchingly sincere song about the death of his parents.  The cracks in his happy-go-lucky, party boy exterior began to show and his fans really appreciated him for it.  Well, on the last night of SXSW Fat Mike “performed” a small, intimate show in which he seemingly bared his most disturbing secrets to a group of stunned onlookers and this time, I’m not sure how much they respected him for it in the end….

In an incredible Pinpoint Music article on an incredibly disturbing event, the author opens with:

Fat Mike’s ‘Cokie the Clown’ set at South By Southwest 2010 was graphic in nature. The stories Mike told and the things he did at Emo’s Annex during SXSW left me shaking afterward. Damian Abraham, lead singer of the band Fucked Up, later described this Cokie set as the most depressing and fucked up thing he had ever seen. This article is going to be very rough in nature and isn’t advisable for the young or the weak of stomach.

Click here to read the full article (it is an absolute must read for followers of NOFX and/or Fat Mike).  If you don’t believe what you read about the performance, here is a link to a video of it (you have to download it, which is scary, but it’s a legit video and hasn’t blown up my computer… yet, anyway).

Add NOFX to My Radar   Add to My Radar

Facebook Conversations

1. thomaslandaverde
    Tommy3/25/2010 1:07 PM | Permalink

WOW! sounds like something out of the “Cokie the Clown” song. Video w/lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfrvg-kdqdo

2. xanmandellmusic
    xanmandellmusic3/25/2010 6:23 PM | Permalink

Part of me really wants to believe that was just Mike being “Cokie The Clown,” and having it be a facade. Part of me thinks it is real after listening to My Orphan Year.

All of me knows that it would suck to be in that audience.

Anonymous 11/11/2010 1:07 AM

you are retarted

3. milhouse
    milhouse3/25/2010 7:59 PM | Permalink

this is incredibly fucked up. i understand opening your heart to fans that have been loving you for years, but the whole piss thing! i mean come on dude, that’s just fukt.

4. ecpunk007
    ecpunk0073/26/2010 11:35 AM | Permalink

Fat Mike is a total cunt. I hope somebody beats the shit out of him for this.

5. mza0725
    Marco3/26/2010 2:57 PM | Permalink

fuck it. he was probably having a shitty day considering he was thinking of all that. why not make somebody else’s day shitty just like yours? we all do it from time to time.

6. lexicondevil
    lexicondevil3/27/2010 5:39 PM | Permalink

Come on, “punks” bitching about something “fucked up” that happened at a punk show?
    Kill the irony please.
    Remember G.G. Allin? Darby Crash? Lee Ving? ala, any street punk band you’ve ever seen?

Sometimes the fans abuse the band, most of the time the band abuses the fans. It’s not malicious, it’s a god damn joke.
    I applaud Fat Mike if anything, that was pretty fuckin punk.

nekropigeon
    nekropigeon 3/28/2010 9:53 PM

I’m with Lexicon Devil on this one: is this really a surprise? Yes, maybe in regards to Fat Mike being the hand, but it’s a punk rock show for jesus sakes. Advice: don’t accept drinks from someone posing as Cokie the Clown! Who also, as maybe a coincidence, pretty much said he would fuck you in a heartbeat on his last single.

7. Mitch9/19/2010 1:15 PM | Permalink

GENIUS!

8. 11/11/2010 1:07 AM | Permalink

Wow you dumb fucks!!! it was a prank.. Not real.